The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I have always wanted to read The Book Thief since 2012 but found it hard to will myself to. I guess I was intimidated and/or got the wrong impression about its genre. The Book Thief doesn't sound far from The Lightning Thief anyway. I made a rash judgment.

---------------------------------------------

Narrated by a sort-of-a grim reaper in a cleverly sarcastic fashion, we plunge into the life of Liesel Meminger.

When Liesel arrived at Himmel Street, she is reluctant and defiant at first but warms up shortly to her adoptive parents (the quirky Hubermanns). Hans Hubermann is a painter/nicotine-addict who served Germany in World War 1. Rosa Hubermann on the other hand, a loud curse-like-a-sailor woman, works as a laundress to the elite side of their town.

Liesel's best friend is Rudy Steiner, a mischievous lemon-haired boy who has always been her partner-in-crime. A Jew arrives to ask for help. The Jew knocks on the Hubermann's door and inquires if Hans is willing to keep his old promise. Meanwhile, our protagonist develops a knack for stealing books.

In this Nazi-era setting, Liesel's life leading up to her adolescence is an amalgamation of fleeting events that leads us to a destined end.

-------------------------------------------------

My favorite quote:


Another fantastic Nazi-setting historical fiction! It wouldn't have worked incredibly if we got a different attack to the narration. The book came out as something dark and dramatic but also remained familiar and plausible. I was irrevocably overwhelmed when I finished it. 

It was Rudy's character that bothered me the most.

The movie version is out next month - November! Here's to hoping it lives up to the book (even in a remote fraction because come on, people always say the book version is better!)


2 comments:

Carlyn | January 22, 2014 at 3:49 AM

What bothered you about Rudy's character? I thought he was alright, just the typical best friend character. I hope you do see the movie and it is to your liking.

Loraine | January 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM

When I said I was "bothered", I meant that I felt something deeper than I should have. I was shaken, to say it simply. Not to be dramatic, I was heartbroken. I really loved that character - Rudy. A mischievous, but most especially decent boy

Then he died before he got his longed-for kiss. *insert waterfall of tears*

Post a Comment