Going Bovine by Libba Bray

At first, I didn't jibe well with this book but as you go along, you understand it. Maybe even love it. And I did!

-----------------------------------------------

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease otherwise known as Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease) is what our semi-anti-social vinyl-record-lovin' protagonist Cameron John Smith mysteriously acquired.

When his health starts to deteriorate, a punk rock angel named Dulcie appears and gives Cameron a mission. She tells her about time traveling, parallel universe, dark energies and a certain Dr. X who can cure him off of mad cow disease.

Dulcie tells Cameron to bring OCD-germophobic little dude (dwarfism) Paul Ignacio "Gonzo" Gonzales along with him on the quest.

Gonzo and Cameron escapes the hospital and starts their journey of finding Dr. X!

Will they succeed? Will they save the universe? Will they get rid of the dark energies? Is Cameron going to live? Is this journey but a dream or is it for real?

Have a very intelligent and ambitious ride in every moment you read Going Bovine!

------------------------------------------------------

I would like to fill this corner of my blog post with excerpts from the book so you be the judge at how awesome it truly is.

"I am Morpheus," he says, and the speakers carry his deep voice for blocks. "We all walk in a land of dreams. For what are we but atoms and hope, a handful of stardust and sinew. We are weary travelers trying to find our way home on a road that never ends. Am I part of your dream? Or are you but a part of mine? Welcome my brother, Phantasos, for this is surely a phantas-magoria, a fantasy world, and we are all players."

"I just don't think happiness is a sustainable state. You can't have it all the time. That much happiness makes people unhappy. And then they start looking for trouble. They start looking for the next thing that's going to make them happy--a happiness fix. -Library Girl at CRESSNAB (Church of Everlasting Satisfaction and Snack 'N' Bowl)

I think about dying every day, because I cant stop thinking about the living. -Cameron

"Everyone's dying Cameron. A little everyday. Make it count." -Dulcie

And when it comes, her kiss is like something not so much felt as found. -Cameron

I would describe this book with Cameron's last narrations, And there's nothing to say but wow. Wow. The same word backward and forward.

Wow! This book is totally wow. I like how it all intertwined seamlessly at the end. I love the witty/funny chapter titles. I love the comedy. I love the drama. I love the harsh realities. I love the fantasy! The dynamics! The characters! The friendship between Gonzo and Cameron. It was bittersweet like any other marvelous novel out there and it truly deserves the Printz award.

It had a subtle way of introducing ideas in your mind. It was done so flawlessly in the plot and we all know reading a book requires a lot of investment, it doesn't just give you words but asks so much in return and i'm happy I read this because I learned. 

For me and Going Bovine, it was a two-way love affair.



7 comments:

Annette Mills | February 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Glad you liked this one. I had mixed feelings, as you read in my review. Thanks for visiting!

Loraine | February 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

To Annette: Thanks for visiting mine as well! =D

Claire Caterer | February 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM

So glad you share my enthusiasm, Loraine! You don't find many books that have truly original plots like this.

Beth W | February 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Yay! I share that love. This book made me a lifelong fan of Libba Bray. :)

Suko | February 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Wow is right! Terrific review, and thanks for stopping by my cow blog. :)

Miss Tiff | February 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

This is the type of book that really sticks with you. I love that quote from the library girl because it is so true. Libba Bray has such talent for inserting lessons into wildly entertaining books. I highly recommend her newest book The Diviners. It's haunting and captivating and I'm sure you'll love it. Check out my review here: http://misstiffreads.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-diviners.html

Thanks for stopping by my blog and keep up the reading.

Loraine | February 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM

To Claire: I know! Even if many say it didn't deliver as they thought it would, I still think it's a must-read. :)

To Beth W: OMG. Did you see the video promoting this book? Libba's sp hilarious. I love her.

To Suko: Thank you! I loved your cow blog. =D

To Miss Tiff: I will totally read The Diviners! Thank you so much for the kind words! That quote os one of my favorite in the book. :D

Post a Comment