Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The novel has intrigued me ever since I saw its movie trailer 3 years ago. It still intrigues me to this day, after I've read the whole book!

------------------------------------------------

Set in the UK, Hailsham is a place where batches of human clones are nurtured by guardians and released into the world upon adulthood to fulfill their birth purpose.

A memoir of Kathy's journey from her early years in Hailsham up to the present.

----------------------------------------

I am a good book-review blogger so i'm leaving it like that. I will not take away the experience from you. Also, do not read further. What lies ahead is my personal opinion of the book and it will indeed be lengthy and it will spoil you.

My goodness. Where do I begin?

For starters, I cannot further emphasize how much a controversy this book is. Kazuo is truly, a gutsy novelist (pun intended)! It raped my mind, it questioned my values and morals. It got the philosopher in me to ponder about the book's atmosphere, its reasons of existence. Wow. How dramatically deep of me, right?

Relationship of Kathy and her friends:
We all have a Ruth in our lives or have encountered one. It amazes me how subtle Kazuo is. You wouldn't really brand Ruth the villain in the beginning, not even Kathy did, but her actions we're gradual and deliberate. It's astonishing how much her huge insecurity towards Kathy bounces off the page and how much you develop a massive dislike towards her. Another thing, i'm very certain the author never wrote that Kathy was ever in love with Tommy (in the movie version, it was implied that she was) but how great it is that no implications were needed here? I felt it. It was only natural to be in love with the boy who's been your best friend since the beginning. She never said it but she never really had to. What a shame. I still hate you, Ruth.

Sometimes, it is brave to give up.


3 comments:

Filipino Community Advocate | May 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Very intriguing and interesting review it pulls my nerves to read it! And yah..I believe that sometimes it is brave to give up :) is the book available in local book stores??

Loraine | May 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Hi Filipino Community Advocate (not sure who I should be referring to since your link goes to SONUB.COM),

Yes! It's pretty much available in nationwide bookstores. Try national, powerbooks or fullybooked :) I highly advise that you read it!

Lor

Laura Besley | January 31, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Thanks Lorraine for reading my review and I found yours very interesting! :)

Post a Comment