Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

I have been seeing this book way before in bookstores. I never had the interest in reading it for some reason. Not until my friend Tine told me that she read it and that I should too, I knew I had to.

The character Lia is the one narrating throughout the entire story. The story revolves around the challenges she faced after her best friend Cassie had died alone in a motel. Cassie called her 33times that night before she died and she(Lia) ignored it, thinking she was drunk-phonecalling her and that they're not in good terms anymore.

Lia started seeing Cassie's ghost.

This is a story about anorexia and how seriously teenagers can get affected with this condition. The story was very truthful and dramatic, complete with parental issues and possible self-perception of the people with anorexia.

My only problem with this is that it's so intense and annoying at times. The problems of Lia are very engaging and you can't help but just continue reading and hope for the best in the end. This is the kind of book that teachers recommend students to read. The whole thing is informing.

I guess the author titled it Wintergirls to connect with hibernation where the animals don't eat(starvation, anorexia) and that they're asleep(half-alive but still alive nonetheless) and they seem to be in a limbo between waking-up or staying asleep.

Just like Lia.

We all have a choice and we are better than we think we are. That's what I learned. That the only one who can help me make things better is myself, my choices.


0 comments:

Post a Comment